Monday, September 22, 2008

Prelude to an Elizabethan Autumn

As autumn augurs bode the short'ning day,
I long for crops on which my sust'nance leans
And which will keep my hunger's pangs at bay—
Not thriftless be and left with meager means.
But work ahead I doth procrastinate
To walk through field and morning meadow dew
By fruit and corn of my dear lord's estate
And bid summer's dwellers early adieu:
Philomel on southward journey will fly
To 'scape frost's grip and winter's gloomy plight;
Leaf once green will color, then fall and dry
For sun doth vex its face with waning light.
   To harvest moon I'll turn and pray my fates
   Vouchsafe my passage through winter's dire straits.



  For
  #45: word fishing*

____________________
The 2008 Fall Equinox (09/22 15:44:18 UTC) occurred during the making of this poem.

* based on the five words that "jumped out at" me from Shakespeare's Sonnets:

Thriftless 2
Vouchsafe 32
Vex 92
Philomel 102
Augurs 107

(Why "Philomel" and "Thriftless" jumped out is obvious. "Vex" is like "Sex".)


10 comments:

  1. Good work, writing a sonnet is an art in itself. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I've tried the doing shakespearian, petrarchan, spenserian, and "heroic" forms. I think the spenserian may be the toughest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your choice of words and to write in Shakespearian voice puts me in awe of you. Well done, Phillip. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos for working in this form alone. No expert, but what I have read of Shakespeare and the sonnet, this reads well. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found that I try to stick to a strict sonnet form, I always end up writing a Shakespearean sonnet. I suppose that's because Shakespeare's are the one's I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sonnets. Reading as well writing the form. Yours is very good.

    Someday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the rhythms of this poem, especially read out loud. Sometimes I find rhyme distracting, but not here. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments!

    I think I'll always be drawn to the sonnet form from time to time. There's a certain feeling of completion no matter what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've really got the language down here. And your meter is perfect. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sound, meter, textural sense all add up! well done!

    ReplyDelete