Thursday, January 8, 2009

geranium



   photo by Unique-Flower-Photos.com



Outside the stucco walls
(remembering
       the bombardment of the scent of lemon-drop candy)
nature's alchemy is caught in the mesh of death's gizzard,
replaying life&death's revolution.

Batting back my plaintive reprieves,
her passing pricks my heart,
leaving behind geranium's crimson signature.




using words1 from read write poem word prompt #7  (other poems)
and written for Kay Ryan, U.S. Poet Laureate, in memory of her life partner, Carol Adair2



___________________
1 gizzard plaintive revolution crimson geranium alchemy pricks stucco
  bombardment candy signature batting mesh

2 http://www.marinij.com/ci_11400223
  http://www.moremarin.com/buzzhome/2009/01/...html


7 comments:

  1. i can smell the lemon drop candy. love that line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can taste that lemon drop candy!

    With that line, you touched something..

    somebody watching you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a very good job with so many prompt words. 'caught in the mesh eath's gizzrd' is a particularly strong image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, nicely put together, I didn't try this one I thought it was too hard for me. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments.

    When I was getting ready to write a poem to the word cloud, I just happened onto the news of the death of Ryan's partner. I only know of Kay Ryan because of of the news of her selection as U.S. Poet Laureate, and did not even know the name of her partner. But the news struck me, poetically.

    (On a side note, I am somewhat sadly surprised there were so few news stories of this. But perhaps poets are overly sensitive to the diminution of poetry in this age.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, that was absolutely beautiful... in the coming season of summer when i spy a crimson geranium i will remember kay and her poetry... thank you for the link, i have bookmarked her poetry and will read again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is surprising that this was not much in the news--Kay Ryan to me is an icon.

    What a moving tribute, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete