Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Written in sand


My own sandbox looks sparse and neat
where many may not come to dig,
while others are the main attractions.
So with a weakness for distractions,
I pick up my shovel and I take my rig
hauling a humble load of conceit.

How many times did I play today
in other sandboxes around the sphere,
and dig into them with pundit prose,
then flinging some sand around with my toes,
and leaving a track that says "I was here,"
but knowing it's written in sand, not clay?




Notes:
1. This was written after wondering why I would waste time posting a comment on big blogs like the ones at The New York Times and The Huffington Post, where it would be one comment among hundreds — Who does such things?
2. placed in Poets United Poetry Pantry #6 (Aug 29, 2010)



8 comments:

  1. cool poem!
    love the idea of written in sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments, and words lost among a sea of them. Why does anyone do it? Not sure I have the answer or if anyone could answer, but maybe it's because we believe that at least one person will read it and reply. Wonderfully written poem! =)

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Philip.

    Even if we never see the result of our words, there is always a consequence. Let's all hope each and every one of our words does some good somewhere, for someone, somehow. I may be dreaming but it would be nice if the world was like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many sand boxes, indeed. Your comments afterward made so much sense. As a golfer, I leave my footprints in the sand, too, LOL. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we just have to say it...maybe someone will hear...if not..it has been said...nice write...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said.Its true you better comment where your effort is appreciated..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy this =P I always did that somehow, our existence can be very small sometimes =3

    ReplyDelete