Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bible words


What power there is in Bible words
woven together in my spandex suit,
weaving their way to fortune and boys:
and ye shall know me by my fruit.

What empire can I build in diamond
rings around a fleecable flock of sheep,
and nothing I do is nowhere a crime
and everywhere there's nary a peep?

To find these words to mold young men in
America's most famously unread book,
to pick these words for the right blend,
and then ... I've got them by the hook.

*     *     *     *


"I cannot get the sound of his voice out of my head, I cannot forget the smell of his cologne and I cannot forget the way that he made me cry many nights when I drove in his cars on the way home," Jamal Parris.


5 comments:

  1. In your spandex suit, lol. America'smost unread book... this must be the Bible. Glad you've got em by the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philip, I didn't understand your poem exactly until I read the quote at the end, which made me realize WHO you were speaking of. It is so awful when people use their position and the name of God to justify somehow doing such despicable things. I hope he doesn't get away scot free somehow, for all the harm he has done while building his empire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This strikes hard and true. To me it seems more damnable than almost anything, that men (or women) should use their powerful positions in the religious community to perpetrate crimes on those who have come to trust them - to feed on them like any predator, to bleed them of soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words that Jesus said (as recorded) are so removed from today's Republican Tea Party.

    ReplyDelete