Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Grand Design: a poem

About what one can not speak,
one must remain silent.

–Ludwig Wittgenstein




What to say of self-created heavens
of spacetimes of dimensions eleven

of Feynman paths of potential realities
of present-made pasts and Riemannian geometries

of loops of string and things called branes
of a universe no God is needed to explain

of one Theory formed from a sMorgasbord
of dishes of physics in seamless accord?

I think of a multiverse of cosmic foam
and say that I can only write a poem.

*     *     *     *


1. The Grand Design: a book by Steven Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow
2. The Mathematics of M-Theory: a talk by Robbert Dijkgraaf (the paper)
The first, I can follow clearly. The second, dimly.

Note: I grew up in North Carolina, where poem rhymes with home.

placed in Poets United Poetry Pantry #8


10 comments:

  1. From quantum physics to poetry - one small, nimble leap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I think of a multiverse of cosmic foam
    and say that I can only write a poem
    ...

    ...and in writing that poem and sharing you become part of the multiverse...your piece definitely causes the mind to ponder...nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must admit that Steven Hawking is above my level of comprehension. I saw him interviewed on Larry King the other night, probably with the other man you mentioned (whose name was not familiar to me). I would rather ponder poetry than scientific theories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, Steven Hawking is also above my level, I saw him with Arther C. Clarke, on a PBS special (it was rather old), called God The Universe and Everything Else. It was long ago so I can't really remember what was the content. Awesome post! =)

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely "Greek to me," but I admire anyone with such a mind as Hawing. I also admire a good poet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philip,
    I am not very scientific, but I can appreciate the skill of a good poet!

    Thank you for sharing the concepts included!
    Best wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous. Love the Feynman reference. great write. Love and Light, Sender

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant and completely over my head, but aweseom indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete