Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Twilight Sewn


A new clothes shop, not grandiose,
The queerest shirts and pants
Of fabrics unbeknownst to most,
A feel like tingling ants.

One purple shirt leapt out at me,
At least its arms shot out,
And captured me — I could not flee.
Choked back a stifled shout.

There was no choice, I have to buy
This magic purple shirt,
To take it quickly home and try
It on. So home I spurt.


Then o're me crept an antsy feel
And purple filled my brain.
I felt empow'rd with nerves of steel
'Gainst demons to be slain.

I saw the world in purple then,
Bad dogmas laid to waste.
A diff'rent nature filled me hence,
A world that I embraced.

That shirt I wear whenever weak
Or fear invades my mind.
When I went back more clothes to seek,
That shop I could not find.


*     *     *     *

placed in Poets United Think Tank #26: Weirdness


8 comments:

  1. Philip, I loved this:

    ,Then o're me crept an antsy feel
    And purple filled my brain.'

    I know this may sound weird, heck it's a weird kind of day lol, but your poem made me remember a show I watched as a child. 'Mr Ben' used to visit a magic clothes shop.

    Thanks for the memories. :-)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know why really but I see Purple People Eaters in my head lol. On a side and more serious note is it funny how the phrase The clothes Makes the man is so true. Confidence can come form the oddest of places. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever, Philip. I think we all need magic shirts to empower us. I would guess we all have some magic clothes -- purple or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh pretty cool - sort of Harry Potterish! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. smart weird take.
    love the purple color.
    beautiful entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever and creative Philip, nicely done. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Philip,
    An absolutely fantastic read.
    I will be more aware of the powers of any garment in the colour purple.
    Weirdly wonderful........

    Best wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete