Sunday, August 7, 2011

Prayer and fasting at Reliant Stadium





Where Texans huddle in the fall
and hordes of beer fanatics jam,
a tide of muddled masses call
for prayer and fasting in the land.

The speakers, evangelicals
who see The Devil's stranglehold
on everything unbiblical,
drone on and on upon the fold.

The prayers soon bore instead of soothe,
so song and dancing fills the ring.
And fasting fills the hot dog booths:
Please make me one with everything.

Outside, the reprobated sects,
the seculars, and gays are there.
And Westboro Baptist protests:
The US doesn't have a prayer.

The prayerful then have had enough,
and Governor with quite Good Hair,
who led the rally's God Pride stuff,
himself, is on to better fare.



guardian.co.uk: Rick Perry's call to prayer draws crowd of 30000
texastribune.org: Fasting at Prayer Event Ends at Hot Dog Stand for Many
Note: Reliant Stadium is the home of the NFL's Houston Texans. AFA (American Family Association), the sponsor of the rally, was designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2010.
(click on image for photos of the event)

placed in Poets United Poetry Pantry #61 and imaginary garden with real toads




6 comments:

  1. I like it when the fanatics come out in their masses, makes it easier for me to identify the places I should avoid making my home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. like a flicker, this enormous thing, and then he moves on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is very witty. The hot dog booths and "make me one with everything". and the Quite Good Hair. Very clever writing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks @Sherry Blue Sky. "Governor Good Hair" actually is Rick Perry's nickname in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and Governor with quite Good Hair

    Love that line! My wife and I are Texans and practicing Catholics ... I'm pretty conservative, too. However, neither of us are big fans of our craftily coiffed Guvna (aka His Royal Hairness). Politics and prayer are an insidious mix, IMHO -- especially when the politician tries to convince us that his prayer rally has no connection to his politics. Does he really think we're that stupid?

    Thought-provoking poem, I like it.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the clever little quips thrown in here to add a little something extra.

    ReplyDelete