Saturday, October 8, 2011

Nomen est omen?





Was I to be true to my given name, I asked,
if horse would nag my every lifetime task?
Would I be bridled with the bit through every lap,
or hold my steed through every handicap?

But horse I soon began to quietly like, you see,
the studs that came undone and played with me,
and found I could not say neigh to that love. And I
just met my destiny with whinny sigh.


Philip is "a given name, derived from the Greek Philippos (Φίλιππος)", meaning lover (or friend) of horses.



Placed in the imaginary garden with real toads. (Use your first name in a poem.)
Nomen est omen: the name is a sign ("true to its name").
Photo: Daniel Radcliffe appears in Peter Shaffer’s “Equus”.


9 comments:

  1. Great response to the prompt, Philip. (I couldn't help notice the pun in : if horse would nag...)

    (Sorry about typo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is witty. I love it so much! Good one, Philip. Great image too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful poem... a mighty name you have, Philip. I especially like:

    "Would I be bridled with the bit through every lap"

    and

    "the studs that came undone and played with me"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is witty. I love it so much! Good one, Philip. Great image too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff. I really like your manipulation of the language.

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. (+1) now i want to write one like this. [runs off to research her name]

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great play on word throughout this, very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really great! I love your name~

    ReplyDelete