Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Paradise Lost 2.0


The LORD's first words,
Rolling the dice
(Iambic two):
"Let there be flare."
The Man's first words
In Paradise
(Iambic too):
"Let there be flair!"

The Snake's first words
From Knowledge Tree:
"Come eat this fare."
The Man's last words
From Paradise:
"Life isn't fair."



for* read write poem prompt #64: out with the old, poem the new (gypo)

______________
* I feel maxed-out right now on P.O.E. (Post-Obama's-Election) poems (O, a deer, Inauguration 2009, Séance Sonnet)

Notes
1. (iambic) dimeter
2. Language in Paradise Lost (by Ruth Rushworth)
In Paradise Lost, we find the following lines which record Adam's first words:
    … to speak I tried, and forthwith spake,
My tongue obeyed and readily could name
What e'er I saw.
(VIII.271)


6 comments:

  1. Love the word play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the notion of creation being a roll of the dice. It reminds me of Hawking's statement that "God not only plays dice, but he throws them where we can't see" (I probably butchered that quote). Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, all.


    (And James:

    On the "Paradise Lost", "Pair-a-dice, Lost" pairing, I just now came across this news story on the fate of what was the Pair-A-Dice Bar in Paradise, MT. Ironic serendipity?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milton is spinning.

    ReplyDelete