Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Acts Of The Holy Ghost ~ Scene 4


  • Judea. JESSE is teaching a small group with PETER, JOHN, THOMAS, JUDAH, and MAGGIE
  •  
  • JESSE
  • I've been working on a new sermon. [Picks up a parchment.]
  • JESSE
  • "Here's the thing."
  • THOMAS
  • "Here's the thing"? I don't thing you can begin a sermon to thousands with "Here's the thing."
  • JESSE
  • I think things are going pretty well.
  • JOHN
  • [Touches JESSE on the arm with loving eyes.] I think your ministry is going great.
  • JESSE
  • Thanks, John.
  • PETER
  • I think we need to move to the next step, m'Lord.
  • JESSE
  • What did you have in mind, Peter?
  • PETER
  • A rousing sermon from a mountaintop. The thoughts you shared with us last week.
  • THOMAS
  • What's the final scene in all this. I'm inspired, but what does this all lead to?
  • JESSE
  • Always the doubter, Thomas. But I feel this world is all screwed up. It needs to shake off the old and modernize. A new testament, if I should be so bold. What do you think, Maggie?
  • PETER
  • You're going to listen to a woman?
  • JESSE
  • In the new world I envision, women have an equal role.
  • MAGGIE
  • [Looking at Peter.] Well, I don't cast my pearls before swine.
  • JESSE
  • Hey, that's a great line.
  • JOHN
  • Hey, don't fight. Blessed are the peacemakers.
  • JESSE
  • Another great line!

  • [Scene darkens as the group squabble.]

  • [JESSE is walking around mumbling to himself. L.Z. BUBB approaches.]
  • JESSE
  • And who would you be?
  • L.Z. BUBB
  • "L.Z. Bubb".
  • JESSE
  • "L.Z." OK.
  • L.Z. BUBB
  • I was at one of talks last week. Interesting.
  • JESSE
  • Think so?
  • L.Z. BUBB
  • You're going to mess things up with the establishment you know. And you know what happens to those who do that.
  • JESSE
  • All I want is equality and treating everyone the same. And for there to be a little justice and mercy. I just believe it gets better.
  • L.Z BUBB
  • Why don't you come work for me? You would be great in marketing. I can make you rich. This philosophical work is nonsense.
  • JESSE
  • Temping, I don't know ...
  • L.Z. BUBB
  • Think about it.

  • [Fade to black.]



The Acts Of The Holy Ghost ~ A Play In One Act


No comments:

Post a Comment