Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Acts Of The Holy Ghost ~ Scene 3


  • Heaven, 30 years later. LORD HAROLD and H.G. TAYLOR are in bed watching the happenings in Judea on their HDTV.
  •  
  • H.G.
  • It's been 30 years, Lord, and our son Jesse has grown up handsomely.
  • HAROLD
  • But look at him: He's lousy at his pretend dad Joseph's carpentry business, spends his time reading scripture and philosophy, wanders around mumbling to himself, gets into arguments with rabbis ... and he still lives with his fucking Earth parents! His younger brothers have already left home to make it on their own.
  • H.G.
  • Maybe its time for me to go down to Judea and have a good talk with him.
  • HAROLD
  • That's a terrific idea. Go down tomorrow morning. But this will be a shock to him. His mother has kept our role in this a secret from him. And she wouldn't be able to explain it, anyway.

  • [Fade to black. Light back on, in Judea. JESSE is wandering around. H.G. approaches.]
  • JESSE
  • Hi.
  • H.G.
  • Hi, son.
  • JESSE
  • Huh? Son?
  • H.G.
  • Thirty years ago I was here and visited your mother, Mary. Have you ever wondered if Joseph was your real father.
  • JESSE
  • What the hell are you talking about? I know Mother has always said I was "God's gift", but ...
  • H.G.
  • You're real father is the Lord in Heaven. "Harold" be his name. I'm his partner, H.G. Taylor. We've been together forever.
  • JESSE
  • Wait. You're saying my real father is gay. I have two gay dads? That's just great. But I'm not gay ...
  • H.G.
  • He's worried about you.
  • JESSE
  • Well that's a fine howdy-do. Here I am, thirty years old and don't know what to do with my life. And my real father didn't take time to help me out.
  • H.G.
  • Things not going well with Joseph?
  • JESSE
  • Carpentry's not for me. I'm still close to Mother of course, but never that close to what I [raising voice] thought before this moment was my dad. I've mostly been wandering the countryside, teaching scripture on the side. Some call me a rabbi now. I got some big ideas for changing things up, but I don't know.
  • H.G.
  • The Lord and I have been watching you from Heaven. You've always been as sharp as nails. But I have something to reveal to you.
  • JESSE
  • Anything to get me out of my doldrums.
  • H.G.
  • The Lord and I didn't have you just for a lark. We knew you would be special, and you would have something to offer the whole Earth.
  • JESSE
  • What do you want me to do?
  • H.G.
  • Begin a ministry to shake up this place. I'll help you out here and there. Just a few tricks, mind you. But people will listen. You'll draw huge crowds.
  • JESSE
  • I do have a few radical ideas I've been working out, and I'm no good at manual work. They'll crucify me out there though.
  • H.G.
  • Nonsense. They'll listen!

  • [Fade to black.]



The Acts Of The Holy Ghost ~ A Play In One Act


No comments:

Post a Comment