Wednesday, November 19, 2008

From Gaea Shorn



photograph by Martin Kingsley
Drawing Lines In The Sky (2006)



Now some four billion suns have passed the sky.
Upon this fractal world's horizons rise
the beasts that won dominion. With the tie

to Gaea shorn, an order they devise
with true lines made above the jaggèd earth,
zealously feeding from her mere supplies.

They spread their brood around fair Gaea's girth,
strip bare her fragile skin and sully air.
Can next green generations save their berth?

From Gaea comes the urgent plea: "Forswear
the plunder of my soils; replenish me.
My sunlight, wind, and tides and heat prepare

for your nine billion future souls to be."
Then Gaea turns to earth and sky and sea.




for read write poem image prompt #3: gypo#53

3 comments:

  1. Eternal! I can feel the electricity breaking out into infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the image of the "four billion suns" and your use of links in the text is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks STG, Nathan.

    I call them "mood links" (like "mood rings"). Maybe it should be in Urban Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete